The following charts show the salary and demand statistics for skills used in Big Data & Database related careers. The data is taken from the Gooroo.io analysis of job advertisements in the United States, Great Britain, and Australia.
This month, we have decided to remove some of the more generic terms like SQL and Databases.
Big Data in the USA
- Again we have very little has change since last month although overall demand for these skills continues to fall slightly.
- Jobs mentioning Microsoft SQL Server continue to outstrip demand of other database platforms and skills.
Big Data in Great Britain
- Microsoft SQL Server is still the most in demand database system in the UK and Great Britain although overall demand as slipped slightly since March.
- The very few jobs mentioning Cassandra continue to pay extremely highly.
Big Data in Australia
- In April we saw the appearance of Cassandra in the Australian market with a few very highly paid jobs. These mentions however may not necessarily be strictly for database focused roles so readers need to keep that in mind when negotiating salaries.
- Microsoft SQL Server is again the most in demand database platform.
- Demand for the Java based Hibernate has fallen back behind MySQL.
About this analysis
When reading these charts, the lower the demand for a skill, the less reliable the salary indicators become. It only takes a handful of jobs to shift the average.
Job data is extremely useful as it's plentiful and provides a lot of fascinating and interesting aspects to work with. It also has its challenges. You should read our full disclosure about the analysis for an insight into these challenges.