The following charts show the salary and demand statistics for skills used in Big Data & Database related careers. The data is taken from the Gooroo.io analysis of job advertisements in the United States, Great Britain, and Australia.
This month, we have decided to remove some of the more generic terms like SQL and Databases.
Big Data in the USA
- Very little has change in the last month although we have seen demand for database skills slip slightly in March.
- Jobs mentioning Mahout, Pig, or Hadoop are still commanding higher than average salaries.
Big Data in Great Britain
- Microsoft SQL Server is still the most in demand database system in the UK and Great Britain.
- The very few jobs mentioning Cassandra are still paid extremely highly.
Big Data in Australia
- In March we saw the appearance of PostgreSQL and HBase in the Australian market.
- Microsoft SQL Server is again the most in demand database platform.
- Demand for the Java based Hibernate continues to sit slightly ahead of MySQL.
About this analysis
When reading these charts, the lower the demand for a skill, the less reliable the salary indicators become. It only takes a handful of jobs to shift the average.
Job data is extremely useful as it's plentiful and provides a lot of fascinating and interesting aspects to work with. It also has its challenges. You should read our full disclosure about the analysis for an insight into these challenges.