The following charts show the salary and demand statistics for skills used in Big Data & Database related careers. The data is taken from the Gooroo.io analysis of job advertisements in the United States, Great Britain, and Australia.
Big Data in the USA
- Microsoft SQL Server is the most in demand database system with MySQL
- 26% of ads mention SQL. They're not shown on the chart in order to not crowd the lower demand end.
- Jobs mentioning Mahout, Cassandra, or Hadoop tend to have the highest average salaries in this group.
Big Data in Great Britain
- Microsoft SQL Server is the most in demand database system in the UK and Great Britain.
- Jobs mentioning Pig are paid very highly, although there are extremely few opportunities for these roles.
Big Data in Australia
- Niche skills seen in other countries aren't requested in Australia.
- Microsoft SQL Server is again the most in demand database platform.
- Data Mining and analysis tools like OLAP and SSAS pay very well.
- Jobs mentioning Big Data pay the highest salaries.
About this analysis
When reading these charts, the lower the demand for a skill, the less reliable the salary indicators become. It only takes a handful of jobs to shift the average.
Job data is extremely useful as it's plentiful and provides a lot of fascinating and interesting aspects to work with. It also has its challenges. You should read our full disclosure about the analysis for an insight into these challenges.